Thursday, June 3, 2010

Online Ticketing On the Fly

I found myself in need of a turn-key solution to sell event tickets online, so I went to my favorite place to ask for help/recommendations: Twitter. It really is, hands-down, in my humble opinion, one of the best places to get just this sort of information on the fly. I knew of a few solutions (such as google checkout and paypal), but wanted something fast and slick.

Within just a couple of minutes, a friend (thx @acmongomery!) recommended EventBrite. I love that they don’t charge a set-up fee, and that they are super user-friendly. I found myself jotting down a quick run-down of EventBrite compared to other online solutions (seen below). For the sake of time and ease of use, I’m going with EventBrite. Should I have needed a longer term/higher volume ticketing solution, the other options could have made more sense.


1. EventBrite - Have an online ticketing page and store up by this weekend! They will charge 5% plus $.99 for each ticket sold. For example, to sell a $10 ticket, the profit is $8.51. There are no set-up fees and no hidden fees. This is the most turn-key solution I've come across so far. If you sold 100 tickets at $10, the profit after fees would be $851.


2. Volusion - More of an online store solution, but could technically work for ticketing, too. This can take a few weeks to set up, and is better for someone who wants to sell long-term. Their monthly fees are around $75 when you add everything up. They also charge 2.17% plus .34 cents per ticket. This scenario on a $10 ticket is $9.44 profit (and of course, the monthly fee). If you sold 100 tickets at $10, the profit after fees would be $865.


3. Google Checkout or Paypal charges 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction (so for a $10 ticket, the profit would be $9.41). If you sold 100 tickets at $10/each, the profit after fees would be $941. Not always as slick, unless you have time to customize.

No comments:

Post a Comment