Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Flying cars, teleporting and personalized television.

Often I wonder to myself "what will they think of next?" By now, we were all supposed to to be flying to work like the Jetsons. Disappointing I know...but in reality we have come a long, long way.

Technology has changed our lives forever. With advances in information gathering, social media, and the world literally at our fingertips, the marketing industry has seen some of the biggest shifts and advances in delivery channels in recent years. Which brings me to my question/topic...what about television? We currently have the ability to send highly personalized mailings, including those that can direct you to your own personal website. We are able to generate personalized email blasts based on demographics, etc. We even have the ability to have personalized web banners pop up based on an individual's recent web searches.

Why not television? I yearn for the day when my commercials are individualized to me or my household. I want "Bob the Carpet Guy" to talk directly to me about the latest flooring deals because he knows I am in the market to buy carpet in the next six months. When will the 3AM infomercials actually be about the things I really want. When is my local newscaster going to say "Jeremy, dress warm today...it's gonna be a cold one." Imagine the possibilities...especially as a marketer. I leave you with that...some food for thought.

Until next time,
Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment