Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Big Picture

One of the biggest reasons why I love graphic design is that each project is like putting together a puzzle. 

Sometimes I get all the pieces right away and I'm able to start and finish the project without any issues. Other times I might get a few pieces one day, then a few more, then something else entirely the next day, week, or month later.  These are the hard puzzles. Sometimes I think all the pieces fit perfectly, only to find that there's one more piece that needs to be squeezed in. Some rearranging is done, and just when I think it's right again, I find another piece, and then another. Eventually, the puzzle pieces have all been joined and an effective design remains. 

Occasionally though, the pieces just don't all fit together. While frustrating, these types of challenges are my favorite. They give me a chance to take a step back and reassess why and if I really need to include so many things. The four most common questions I re-ask myself are: 

1. What is the overall purpose of this piece? 
2. Who is the target audience? 
3. What elements are absolutely necessary to get the message across?
4. Am I more focused on a creative concept than on the overall goal? 

I find that answering these questions remind me of what I'm supposed to be accomplishing in my design. Sometimes the message is being lost in too much material and some words need cut. Other times I'm so convinced my design is good and I'm blinded by the fact that it might not be the most effective idea. No matter what the problem, by taking the time to reassess the pieces, I can put myself back on track to an impressive completed design.  

So, when your pieces aren't fitting together, take the opportunity to step back and look at the big picture. After all, that is the most important part.

Until next time,

Gail



MarketMatch is a full-service marketing consulting firm, dedicated to the credit union and community banking community. We utilize knowledge-based strategies to help you FOCUS on the efforts that will generate MOMENTUM and yield the greatest RESULTS for your bottom line.


No comments:

Post a Comment