Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Get Emotional

I was professionally raised in ad agencies and matured in financial marketing, so I know that I'm a bit too close ... but it seems to me that too many copywriters don't dig deep enough into their work.

If you want to make an impact with your ad copy, understand the unique features that you want to promote ... then determine how those feature will ultimately benefit your customer. Will it make their life easier? What can they do with the money that they'll save?

Now, you can stop at the benefit and be well ahead of most of your competition from a marketing perspective. But to really make an impact, generate some emotion. How does your target FEEL. Are they frustrated with your competition? Are they proud to be buying their first home?

Demonstrate that you understand who your target is and what they care about then back it up with the benefits that will fill their needs.

For example, you could promote your Wealth Management Department by saying that your bank "manages umpteen-million dollars in assets" or that Sally Wealth Management is "super trustworthy." Or you could say...

When "Daddy's Little Girl" became "Mommy," I knew I could help.

First I bought my new grandson a ball glove, then I called Sally at Wealth Management. She was so helpful with my retirement that I knew she could help me put something away for his college too. I know he'll be a shortstop!

Take care,
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment