Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Experience: When we least Expect it...

As many of you know, I fly a lot. I tend to fly Delta the most...and usually have to go through either Cincinnati or Atlanta to get anywhere. It is one of the "experiences" that I dislike about Delta. This leads me to a story about handling situations that routinely arise in business...and how to handle them in a manner that is not only true to the Brand but enhances the experience.

About 18 months ago, I was on a Delta Flight that left Dayton for Atlanta on my way to Minneapolis (you don't see the logic in that route, either, do you...but I digresss). The flight was routine in every sense and the day was a great day to fly...sunny, warm and clear. As we made our approach to Atlanta all seemed normal. As we we descending and approached the runway, all was still as expected. Nothing fantastic, just as what was expected. As we prepared to touch our wheels....I was thrust back in my seat as the pilot put the floor down on the throttle and we quickly became airborne again. What happened? Close call? Problem with the plane? It was not clear....and NEVER became clear! As we circled back around and came back to land....this time for real...no one said a thing-- not the captain, not the flight attendants, but rest assured the passengers were sure talking about it! As we landed and taxi'd to the gate...still nothing. We prepared to get off the plane...still nothing. We were ALL left up to our vivid imagination as to what happened. As I walked down the terminal, some of the stories being created or bantered around were pretty dramatic...and NONE were good for Delta! They missed their chance to manage the situation!

Now, compare that to a recent flight that I took on Southwest Airlines. We were departing Columbus, OH for Little Rock Arkansas (which I love by the way....Arkansas is gorgeous!) Another routine take-off, cruise and preparation for landing....until we approached the landing. Here we go again, I thought. But the plane hit like a ton of bricks on the runway and the pilot brought it back down for a 2nd, slightly smoother, landing...we made it! Now...a critical brand decision was made...or could be made...in this situation. Follow the Delta lead and ignore it and NOT manage the brand...or do something different. The pilot made the brand decision that was different!

As soon as we taxi'd off the main runway, the captain turned on the PA system and made an announcement..."Ladies and Gentleman, I would like to be the 1st to welcome you to Little Rock International Airport...the time is...the temp is..., etc." I was thinking he was going to ignore the rock hard landing. However, at the moment of truth...right where our brand, reputation and future opportunity for sales lies (yes, at your bank/CU, too!) the pilot made a well-trained decision. He said, "I would like to also share with you a policy here at Southwest Airlines...that there is never a charge for the 2nd landing! Have a great day!"

There it was...not an explanation...but a Brand Saving action that lived up to the brand personality of Southwest Airlines. As I walked out fo the gate and down the terminal the conversation was more laughter than concern and people saying "that is why I fly Southwest...I love it."

The Brand lives on and is actually strengthened by what happened.

Now think of your institution...what path would your staff take the Delta "A" path or the Southwest "B" path? Ask yourself and then go into your lobbies, call your call center, etc. to see what truth lies at the moment of the Brand opportunity!

It takes consistency, a stated purpose, and a clear understanding that everyone has a role in the upkeep and delivery of the brand....

Cheers!

Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment