Thursday, May 16, 2013

Diary of a Credit Union Marketer

Dear Diary...


"April 15: YES!!!!!  I just left the conference room after a meeting with my team, and I am so pumped about this new marketing campaign.  It’s going to be great!  This is the biggest multi-faceted campaign we’ve done yet.  We have mass media, direct mail, social media, email with PURLs, a microsite, billboards…we are going to get so many loans!  It launches on June 3, so I have a lot to do between now and then, but I’m confident I can get it done.

May 1: The staff members are all asking questions about this “new marketing campaign” the CEO mentioned at the staff meeting.  I’ve got to set aside some time to get everyone together to effectively explain what we’re doing and get everyone’s buy-in or this just isn’t going to be successful.  Then there’s that meeting I have today with a new print vendor to see if I can get better pricing for our campaign print pieces.  Oh, and I absolutely have to write that press release today about our school financial literacy program, and get a picture at the school when I am there to teach the class this afternoon.  

May 7: I’m feeling panicked because I’ve only gotten around to about half of the staff members to talk to them about the upcoming campaign.  How am I going to get to all of the branches this week and still get everything done on my list?  I need to get with our design team again because the art isn’t what I wanted exactly.  Are the programmers working on our microsite?  I also need to get all of our trade show materials ready for the community pancake breakfast on Saturday.  We need to take a game and some literature about the credit union with us.  Perhaps I should design some coupons for the campaign to hand out?  I’ll add that to my to-do list for tomorrow. 

May 15: One of our member service reps came into my office this morning needing help writing a letter to a new member of the credit union.  I was happy to help, but I still have to finalize the art for our postcard, and pull a list from our MCIF system, scrub it, and get it uploaded into our email system.  Oh my, I need to send out the Happy Birthday cards to our members who have birthdays in June.  Most importantly, my CEO asked me today to come to the board meeting tomorrow afternoon and present the new marketing campaign to the board and senior management team, so I’m going to have to work through lunch and push back my dinner date in order to get it done.  If the board doesn’t like it, then it will be really hard to justify the budget, so my presentation has to be well organized and include member data, market research and current statistics. 

May 31: I came in early today to get everything done so I don’t have to spend my weekend at the office.  I’ve spent the last hour responding to urgent emails.  Then the printer called and said that the size on our direct mail postcard dropping on Monday isn’t standard, so I have to get accounting to write a check to cover the difference in postage.  I also have to drive around to all of the branches today to make sure they have all of the collateral pieces they need for the campaign launch.  Our first email blast goes out next Tuesday and I still need to write the last two articles to go along with the campaign piece.  I should probably write a blog post, too, about the benefits of getting a car loan at the credit union.  That would be a nice complimentary piece to go along with our campaign…"

Wow, I remember being in those shoes.  At the end of the day, the work all got done.  But imagine how much better it would have been with more horsepower - especially in that last mile of the marathon? 

Many marketers are fearful of working with an agency for their marketing efforts.  They are afraid that their own positions won’t be justified if they are “hiring out” their marketing work.  But that couldn’t be further from the truth.  In fact, we work best with credit unions that already have marketers on staff, because no one knows their credit union’s strengths, opportunities, staff dynamics, objectives, and brand better than the marketing person. 

The beauty of working with an agency like MarketMatch is in times like the last mile of the race to finish that campaign.  A true marketing partner sits on the same side of the desk as the marketing person and their team to develop and execute a strategic marketing campaign.  Once the strategy is in place, we do the legwork behind the scenes to let you and your team focus on the things that you need and want to do like staff development, training, financial literacy…whatever it is.  We are here to make you look good.  

The end!

Amanda




Contact me to learn how MarketMatch can help you with your marketing efforts, whether it is through marketing strategy, branding or rebranding, budget planning, new product development, and much more.  Learn more about all of our client services by clicking here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment