Thursday, April 15, 2010

Can Customers and Prospects Talk to You?

As you can imagine, in my role with MarketMatch, I spend a great deal of time on the telephone talking to (or should I say trying to talk to) banks and credit unions. Often, I have only the main telephone number of the institution and have to depend on the quality of their telephone system to allow me to reach the appropriate person.

I have found the process frustrating at best. Many times I have navigated through the automated options only to have my call dropped just after I select what I think is the final option before I get the individual I am trying to reach. Other times, I have found the only way to talk to a live person is to talk to customer service and then asked to be transferred. Even then, half the time the call get dropped.

When I do encounter a telephone system that is either answered by a "live" person or a system that allows me to key in the last name followed by the first name of the individual, you would be amazed at how the call is answered. More often than not, the individual does not identify themselves or the institution. Even more rare is the greeting "how may I help you."

Don't even get me started on voice mail messages. Voice mail messages are "all over the place" from very rude to very helpful.

How long has it been since anyone at your institution has taken a look at your telephone system?

The cost of telephone systems has dropped dramatically over the last several years. Every institution can afford a quality telephone system.

How long has it been since your institution has discussed telephone etiquette?

Institutions spend a lot of money on branding, web sites, merchandising, etc. but often overlook what is in many cases, the first customer/prospect touch point an individual has with the institution.

Does your institution have a standardized voice mail message?

If not, creating one would probably be a good idea! If you decide to create a standardized voice mail message, refresh it frequently. Remember it is OK to "sell" via the voice mail message!

Bottom Line - Make sure your telephone system represents a "great" customer/prospect touch point because your institutions reputation for quality service is "on the line." No pun intended.

Have a great week!

Mike Witsken

No comments:

Post a Comment