Monday, February 4, 2008

A blog NOT about the Super Bowl Ads!

While I do have a lot to say about the Super Bowl Ads, I am fairly certain you have read plenty about them already today. Instead, let's talk about asking questions!

We all do it, and we all reply to it. As a society we have been trained that a simple "Hello" will not suffice. We must ask, "How are you today," and wait for the reply of, "Great, how are you?" From time to time we we will hear an honest answer such as, "UGH, I hate this weather," or "My daughter just won the spelling bee." It's refreshing. And it's an invitation to ask another question in follow up!

It is only when people provide honest answers that the conversation begins, and relationships begin with the conversation, and we all know that customer loyalty begins with building relationships. It's the circle of life for customer loyalty.

Many companies have standard jargon they use. Employees at Marquis Software Solutions answer the phones with, "...how can I exceed your expectations today?" or sometimes "how can I make your day better?" And occasionally they will get an honest answer that begins to develop a relationship with the caller.

Safeway grocery stores coach their check-out employees to ask, "Did you find everything today?" or some variation of the question.

It's refreshing to not just hear an honest, open-ended question. However, I am learning that while you can coach employees to ask a more inviting question, they are not always coached on how to handle the answer. Which leads to customer non-loyalty. Let me explain.

I shop faithfully at Safeway because I accrue United Airline miles for each purchase, it is the closest grocery store to my house, and I know where everything is and what to expect when I am there. At the end of each experience I am asked the same question, "did you find everything today" to which I usually reply with "I found everything on my list plus an additional $50 worth!" That's the way shopping works, right?

The last four times I have been to Safeway they have been out of fresh basil. I asked the employee in the produce section if they had any in the back and was informed that if there isn't any on the shelf, they must be out. Not the response I was looking for, but accepted it and continued fulfilling my list.

At check out, I was asked if I found everything today. I was excited to have a real answer!!! "Actually, I have been looking for fresh basil the last few times I have been here and you haven't had any. I asked the guy in produce if you had any in back and he said you stock everything on the shelves so you must be out. Do you know when I can expect to find basil again?"

The checkout clerk looked at me like a deer in headlights and replied, "Ummmm...I don't know. Do you need help out with your cart today?"

Seriously? I learned that the employees are told to ask the question but don't expect an answer so when they get one, they just ignore it.

I think it is great to be proactive, start a conversation, ask open-ended questions, and develop a relationship. However, when you ask your open-ended questions, BE SURE YOU ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE THE ANSWERS!!!

I think Seth Godin sums it up the best in his blog The Last Interaction.

Are your employees prepared for the responses they may receive? Are they empowered to fix the problem if the problem is with the bank? I hope so.

So, how are you today?
Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment