Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Wake Up Your Brand the Starbucks Way


Last week, I spoke for the South Carolina Credit Union League about Creating Authentic Brands.  During my session, I used Starbucks as an example of an organization who built an authentic brand.  And, in typical me-style, I think I insulted about half the room.

You see, I added the aside that I felt Starbucks' great brand was built despite an inferior product.

We then spent the next 5 minutes arguing about coffee.  Actually getting passionate about a roasted bean.

Through this discussion, I inadvertently proved my point … Great brands are more about emotion than logic.  By simply stating my opinion that Starbucks is bitter and subpar, I evoked an emotional response to defend a loved brand.

So, how did Starbucks do it?

In his book, Pour Your Heart Into It: How Starbucks Built a Company One Cup at a Time, Howard Schulz, Starbucks’ Director of Retail Operations and Marketing, expressed how the brand is central to Starbucks’ business:

“Authentic brands do not emerge from marketing cubicles or advertising agencies. They emanate from everything the company does, from store design and site selection to training, production, packaging and merchandise buying. In companies with strong brands, every senior manager has to evaluate each decision by asking, 'Will it strengthen or dilute the brand?'"

This is great advice if you want your customers passionate about your brand … out there defending your honor, like knights on white steeds, every time some opinionated loud-mouth like me puts you down.

By putting as much emphasis on the experience as in the product, you can differentiate yourself and build an authentic brand … just like Starbucks.

"Starbucks’ role is to provide uplifting moments to people every day. I didn’t say coffee. Starbucks is not just a pound of coffee, but a total coffee experience."
~ Scott Bedbury, Senior Vice President of Marketing, Starbucks

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to run to Caribou for a Northern Lite white chocolate latte with extra espresso.

Take care,
Eric


With more than 120,000 visits worldwide, we hope that you enjoy this blog.  If you find it helpful, please share it with your colleagues.  Also, check out our YouTube Channel for short video blogs.  

We bring these marketing philosophies to community banks and credit unions nationwide, and would love to bring them to your institution too.  Contact us to see how.

MarketMatch is also a nationally and internationally requested speaker.  Contact us to bring our marketing ideas to your next conference.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MarketMatch is a marketing firm, dedicated to the credit union and community banking community.  We utilize knowledge-based strategies to help you FOCUS on the right story that will generate the greatest  MOMENTUM and prove the best RESULTS with our written ROI Guarantee.

No comments:

Post a Comment