Thursday, January 10, 2008

Who is Ron Howard?




Seriously! Is he Opie Taylor, Richie Cunningham or an award-winning Director? While all of the above are true statements, Each living generation will think of him differently. I am an X-er and think of Richie. When I ask my parents the same questions, they more closely align with Opie Taylor...any guesses as to why? Yup, they are Boomers. So if my husband were to turn to me and say, "Good golly, I can't believe I just paid a nickel for a Coke." I would probably laugh myself to death! It doesn't fit.

Here's the point. What's good for the goose is not always good for the gander. Today, the lion's share of your customer base are aging Boomers who are planning for retirement...if they haven't retired already! Their children are the X-ers and the occasional Gen-Y. These generations do not communicate in the same way or with the same words. Remember my blog on Christmas Eve when my mom asked what a Blog is...that's the point.

You can't expect the younger generations to bank with you because their parents and grandparents did. They are mobile, technologically savvy and will go where they feel comfortable...often taking advice from a friend, teacher or coworker. You need to find ways to reach out to them. Mobile banking is a great example, and I don't mean your courier service...I mean the bank-by-text brilliant invention. I have already signed up...just one more reason that I am REALLY faithful to my bank. I have peace of mind knowing that (because I don't own a check book or check register...I do it ALL online) that when I am in Ann Taylor, I can instantaneously determine whether or not I should get the really great shoes to go with my new suit.

With the new year will come new messages to communicate. My challenge to you is to find a new and creative ways to communicate them. When you issue a press release...maybe you should think about blogging it. Set up an account Facebook or MySpace or one of the bazillion other social networks. Keep it specific to the bank. Have you given any thought to a Podcast. Did you know they are not exclusive to iTunes or Apple? There are credit unions out there that are very successfully educating the younger generations about the Credit Union Difference via MySpace and Podcasting. Go to myspace.com and search for "Credit Union" or "Bank" and see what kind of results you get. Google for "banking podcast." I think you will be amazed!

Generational marketing (or at least the appreciation of the generational gaps) can be your best friend...or also your worst retention enemy. Give it a try!

TTYL
(that's "talk to you later" in text-speak)
Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment